Anti-American Misinformation/Disinformation Efforts in Social and Mass Media
- Hamdi Kavak
- Saltuk Karahan (ODU)
Student and Senior Collaborators
- Gowri Prathap (CDS undergraduate student - 2021-current)
- Luke Palmieri (CDS undergraduate student - 2021-current)
- Ekrem Kaya (CDS undergraduate student - 2021-current)
- Alex Korb (ODU PhD student - 2021-current)
- Hongyi Wu (Faculty collaborator, ODU)
- Kimberly Perez (Faculty collaborator, TCC)
In this project, we aim to investigate the following research question: To what extent do the actors in mass media and social media affect each other in creating anti-U.S. perceptions through misinformation and disinformation efforts within the U.S. allies (and thus sowing discord within Western alliances)? To answer this research question, we have been collecting social media and mass media data from Turkish-speaking population. These data sources are being investigated using natural language processing tools and political science experts in our team.
Publications & Presentations
- GMU OSCAR Celebration of Student Success Presentation (Fall 2021).
G. Prathap, E. Kaya, and L. Palmieri.
- The Commonwealth Cyber Initiative - The Role of Cybersecurity in the Spread of Disinformation and Misinformation
Last updated on Jan 27, 2022.