I enjoy advising curious students at all levels from high school to Ph.D. Currently, I supervise undergraduate and graduate students. Over the summer of 2020, I am planning to integrate high school students into my research activities. See below first if you want to inquire about working under my supervision.
Are you a current/accepted GMU student interested in working with me?
Send an email at hkavak [at] gmu.edu and mention three things please:
- your research interest
- your CV/Resume
- express whether you need funding/research assistant position (see open positions below).
Open funded graduate student or post-doc positions
I do not have a funded position for now. Check back later.
Current Ph.D. Committee Chair
- Melonie Richey - Computational Social Science Ph.D. Candidate at GMU
- Provisional title: Modeling Refugee Populations Using Agent-Based Models
- Paul Cummings - Computational Social Science Ph.D. Student at GMU
- Provisional title: Developing a Near Decomposable and Interpretable Machine Learning and Agent-Based Model for Social Science Theory
Current Ph.D. Committee Membership
- Bora Aslan - Ph.D. Candidate at International Relations Dept. at Old Dominion University.
- Scott Hopkins - Computational Sciences and Informatics Ph.D. Candidate at GMU
- Gideon Gogovi - Computational Sciences and Informatics Ph.D. Candidate at GMU
- Tom Wallace - Computational Social Science Ph.D. Candidate at GMU
- Jarrod Grewe - Computational Sciences and Informatics program Ph.D. Candidate at GMU
- Bruce Goldfeder - Computational Sciences and Informatics Ph.D. Candidate at GMU
Current Undergraduate Research Students
- Gowri Prathap - (URSP Summer 2020) Computational and Data Sciences major at GMU.
Current High School Research Students
- Aarav Khanna - (ASSIP 2020) - Rising Junior at Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology.
- David Han - (ASSIP 2020) - Rising Senior at Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology.
- Isheitaa Bansal - (ASSIP 2020) - Rising Senior at Chantilly High School.
- **Rayan Yu ** - (ASSIP 2020) - Rising Senior at James Madison High School.
Past Ph.D. Dissertation Committee Member
- Christine Harvey - Computational Science and Informatics Ph.D. at GMU (awarded Fall 2019).
Past Undergraduate Research Students
- Peter Banks - (Spring 2020) Economics major at GMU.